Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lets talk Science...

We are knee deep in school wide assessments in all subject areas and in all grade levels.  We had a visit today from our Area Superintendent and we were advised to not test today, but instead teach.  Game on.  I'll take fun interactive teaching over assessments any day...

We just finished our Sound unit and the kids loved it.  The past couple weeks the kids have been making lots of noise and not getting in trouble, making musical instruments, listening to a live guitar performance from one of our staff, and taking a walking tour to list all the sounds they hear.  So when we had the freedom to teach something fun today I instantly thought - SCIENCE EXPERIMENT.  Its something we never have time for, but the kids love it every time I try to squeeze an experiment in.

So I made 10 bags and numbered them.

I placed 10 different items in each bag and used this sound inference recording sheet.

Staple the bags and we are ready to roll.

Here is a quick pic of the bags before we started.



Here is a list of the things I put in the bags...

1. keys
2. dice
3. skittles
4. foil
5. tissue paper
6. noodles
7.  sand
8.  cotton balls
9.  markers
10.  rice

Then one by one I shook the bags and the kids had to record the sound and what they thought was in the bag.  I have never had 20 kids be so quiet.  They were totally into listening to what was in the bag.  When everyone had their predictions listed I revealed what was in the bag.  Most of the kids did pretty good.  One student guessed the foil - it was a cool moment.  Everyone was excited when they got a bag prediction right.  It was teaching at its finest.  Fun and learning.  Its what we do.  Kids loved it.  Mission accomplished...

No comments:

Post a Comment